Clear all

Rooting CarPC pro for Power Users

4 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
AP756 - Fred
(@ap756-fred)
Topic starter  

Rooting CarPC pro (procedure should work with Basic too, not tested)

Disclaimer: This procedure is for people who are familiar with Android and rooting. I'm absolutely not responsible for anything you do, including flashing and modifying anything. It's your own risk, not CarPC, not mine. What I describe here is what I have done, your miles may vary.

Needed: full ROM from CarPC (Basic and Pro:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EeoKTvofnvE75892icxZn5XfewV8Ttaj?usp=sharing), a copy of Magisk.apk from https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/tag/v25.2 (the latest), Mirroid or Vysor on the PC, driverset from https://androidmtk.com/download-mtk-driver-auto-installer, Minimal ADB and Fastboot from https://androidmtk.com/download-minimal-adb-and-fastboot-tool

Part 1:
- Install Mirroid or Vysor (my favorite) to your PC, extract Minimal ADB to a new folder on PC
- extract the downloaded ROM to a different new folder on your PC
- Check the version installed to your CarPC (should be the same as the ROM downloaded, if not you have to update your CarPC)
- install the MTK driver to your PC.
- Connect your CarPC to your PC and download Magisk to CarPC's SD card (this is because internal memory will be deleted several times).
- Start Android Settings on CarPC and navigate to System -> Advanced -> About Phone -> Build number, tap 7 times on Build number and you'll be a developer.
- Go back one level and open Developer options and allow OEM unlocking.

Part 2:
- Back to your PC and navigate to the new folder ADB (I called it ADB, you might have used another name), start cmd-here (a new command windows pops up).
- Enter "adb devices" (without quotes), you'll get your serial number as a response. If not, the driver or ADB wasn't installed correct.
- Now key in "adb reboot bootloader" and wait for CarPC to reboot. Then enter "fastboot devices". The same serial number as mentioned above should appear, if not driver install was not successful.

Part 3:
- Unlocking bootloader: Enter "fastboot flashing unlock", wait 5 sec or more after enter, then "fastboot flashing unlock_critical", 5 sec wait, then "fastboot reboot".

Part 4:
First start after OEM unlocking will take quite some time. Grab a coffee or smoke some cigarettes because you have to be really patient for at least 3 minutes and another 5 minutes for the automatic optimization process. CarPC will connect and reconnect several times before it finally reboots successfully - be patient. To finish the process disconnect and reconnect Cardongle (to reinitialize), goto CarPC Settings and establish mobile hotspot again. Check System -> Advanced -> Developer options. The option OEM unlocking is greyed out and tells you "is already unlocked".

Part 5:
Install Magisk on CarPC (located in your folder on SD card, otherwise you have to download again) and copy the boot.img from the downloaded ROM (on your PC) to download folder on CarPC. Open Magisk and click on install Magisk. Allow all permissions, click next, choose select and path, change to download folder and choose boot.img, then click LET'S GO. A new file will be created in your internal download folder, copy this file back to the ADB folder on your PC. Rename the new copied file to bootm-CarPC-2-4-64.img (or any other name except boot.img).

Part 6:
Back on PC open cmd-here in ADB folder and enter "adb devices" in the new window. All's well if you see your serial number again. "adb reboot bootloader", short wait, "fastboot devices", short wait, "fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash boot bootm-CarPC-2-4-64.img", short wait, "fastboot reboot", done. As usual it's time to wait again (have another coffee like described above) to re-establish the connection to Cardongle (maybe you have to disconnect/reconnect Cardongle to get it booting). No matter, be patient!

Patience is the key for successful modifying your CarPC (can't say it too often). If you have any questions you can ask, I might or might not answer :-). Depends on my mood and on the kind of the question. This procedure is checked and tested several times. If you follow it "by the word" it'll work for you.

Bye for now Fred

This topic was modified 2 months ago 4 times by AP756 - Fred

admin and natsheh reacted
admin
(@admin)
Eminent Member Admin

This looks great! Yes it is for "Power" CarPC users only though 🙂 

We will have an updated version of the FW soon hopefully.

Keep up the great work!

ReplyQuote
natsheh
(@mamdouh)

Posted by: @ap756-fred

Rooting CarPC pro (procedure should work with Basic too, not tested)

Disclaimer: This procedure is for people who are familiar with Android and rooting. I'm absolutely not responsible for anything you do, including flashing and modifying anything. It's your own risk, not CarPC, not mine. What I describe here is what I have done, your miles may vary.

Needed: full ROM from CarPC (Basic and Pro:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EeoKTvofnvE75892icxZn5XfewV8Ttaj?usp=sharing), a copy of Magisk.apk from https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/tag/v25.2 (the latest), Mirroid or Vysor on the PC, driverset from https://androidmtk.com/download-mtk-driver-auto-installer, Minimal ADB and Fastboot from https://androidmtk.com/download-minimal-adb-and-fastboot-tool

Part 1:
- Install Mirroid or Vysor (my favorite) to your PC, extract Minimal ADB to a new folder on PC
- extract the downloaded ROM to a different new folder on your PC
- Check the version installed to your CarPC (should be the same as the ROM downloaded, if not you have to update your CarPC)
- install the MTK driver to your PC.
- Connect your CarPC to your PC and download Magisk to CarPC's SD card (this is because internal memory will be deleted several times).
- Start Android Settings on CarPC and navigate to System -> Advanced -> About Phone -> Build number, tap 7 times on Build number and you'll be a developer.
- Go back one level and open Developer options and allow OEM unlocking.

Part 2:
- Back to your PC and navigate to the new folder ADB (I called it ADB, you might have used another name), start cmd-here (a new command windows pops up).
- Enter "adb devices" (without quotes), you'll get your serial number as a response. If not, the driver or ADB wasn't installed correct.
- Now key in "adb reboot bootloader" and wait for CarPC to reboot. Then enter "fastboot devices". The same serial number as mentioned above should appear, if not driver install was not successful.

Part 3:
- Unlocking bootloader: Enter "fastboot flashing unlock", wait 5 sec or more after enter, then "fastboot flashing unlock_critical", 5 sec wait, then "fastboot reboot".

Part 4:
First start after OEM unlocking will take quite some time. Grab a coffee or smoke some cigarettes because you have to be really patient for at least 3 minutes and another 5 minutes for the automatic optimization process. CarPC will connect and reconnect several times before it finally reboots successfully - be patient. To finish the process disconnect and reconnect Cardongle (to reinitialize), goto CarPC Settings and establish mobile hotspot again. Check System -> Advanced -> Developer options. The option OEM unlocking is greyed out and tells you "is already unlocked".

Part 5:
Install Magisk on CarPC )located in your folder on SD card, otherwise you have to download again) and copy the boot.img from the downloaded ROM (on your PC) to download folder on CarPC. Open Magisk and click on install Magisk. Allow all permissions, click next, choose select and path, change to download folder and choose boot.img, then click LET'S GO. A new file will be created in your internal download folder, copy this file back to the ADB folder on your PC. Rename the new copied file to bootm-CarPC-2-4-64.img (or any other name except boot.img).

Part 6:
Back on PC open cmd-here in ADB folder and enter "adb devices" in the new window. All's well if you see your serial number again. "adb reboot bootloader", short wait, "fastboot devices", short wait, "fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash boot bootm-CarPC-2-4-64.img", short wait, "fastboot reboot", done. As usual it's time to wait again (have another coffee like described above) to re-establish the connection to Cardongle (maybe you have to disconnect/reconnect Cardongle to get it booting). No matter, be patient!

Patience is the key for successful modifying your CarPC (can't say it too often). If you have any questions you can ask, I might or might not answer :-). Depends on my mood and on the kind of the question. This procedure is checked and tested several times. If you follow it "by the word" it'll work for you.

Bye for now Fred

Thank you for this tutorial .

but i am missing some files from part 3

unlock.img and unlock_critical or it's a command only ( flashing)

ReplyQuote
AP756 - Fred
(@ap756-fred)
Topic starter  

Those are (internal) commands of fastboot. 

Bye for now  Fred 

This post was modified 2 months ago by AP756 - Fred

natsheh reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: