Clear all

Rooting CarPC pro for Power Users

44 Posts
5 Users
7 Likes
AP756 - Fred
(@ap756-fred)
Topic starter  

@mamdouh, I've got PlayStore version 33.5.16-21 [0] [PR] 493321047 installed on my CarPC with OS version 2.4.72. I never had to change or update, this is the version which comes with the latest beta update. I can't upload due to file size restrictions here on the forum, so you have to locate this version on the Internet. According to CarPC they wrote end of November "we should have a new firmware version in few weeks", waiting for that makes sense.

Bye for now  Fred 

ReplyQuote
Javier
(@tiosanturzi)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @ap756-fred

Rooting CarPC pro (procedure should work with Basic too, not tested)

Disclaimer: This procedure is for people who are familiar with Android and rooting. I'm absolutely not responsible for anything you do, including flashing and modifying anything. It's your own risk, not CarPC, not mine. What I describe here is what I have done, your miles may vary.

Needed: full ROM from CarPC (Basic and Pro:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EeoKTvofnvE75892icxZn5XfewV8Ttaj?usp=sharing), a copy of Magisk.apk from https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/tag/v25.2 (the latest), Mirroid or Vysor on the PC, driverset from https://androidmtk.com/download-mtk-driver-auto-installer, Minimal ADB and Fastboot from https://androidmtk.com/download-minimal-adb-and-fastboot-tool

Part 1:
- Install Mirroid or Vysor (my favorite) to your PC, extract Minimal ADB to a new folder on PC
- extract the downloaded ROM to a different new folder on your PC
- Check the version installed to your CarPC (should be the same as the ROM downloaded, if not you have to update your CarPC)
- install the MTK driver to your PC.
- Connect your CarPC to your PC and download Magisk to CarPC's SD card (this is because internal memory will be deleted several times).
- Start Android Settings on CarPC and navigate to System -> Advanced -> About Phone -> Build number, tap 7 times on Build number and you'll be a developer.
- Go back one level and open Developer options and allow OEM unlocking.

Part 2:
- Back to your PC and navigate to the new folder ADB (I called it ADB, you might have used another name), start cmd-here (a new command windows pops up).
- Enter "adb devices" (without quotes), you'll get your serial number as a response. If not, the driver or ADB wasn't installed correct.
- Now key in "adb reboot bootloader" and wait for CarPC to reboot. Then enter "fastboot devices". The same serial number as mentioned above should appear, if not driver install was not successful.

Part 3:
- Unlocking bootloader: Enter "fastboot flashing unlock", wait 5 sec or more after enter, then "fastboot flashing unlock_critical", 5 sec wait, then "fastboot reboot".

Part 4:
First start after OEM unlocking will take quite some time. Grab a coffee or smoke some cigarettes because you have to be really patient for at least 3 minutes and another 5 minutes for the automatic optimization process. CarPC will connect and reconnect several times before it finally reboots successfully - be patient. To finish the process disconnect and reconnect Cardongle (to reinitialize), goto CarPC Settings and establish mobile hotspot again. Check System -> Advanced -> Developer options. The option OEM unlocking is greyed out and tells you "is already unlocked".

Part 5:
Install Magisk on CarPC (located in your folder on SD card, otherwise you have to download again) and copy the boot.img from the downloaded ROM (on your PC) to download folder on CarPC. Open Magisk and click on install Magisk. Allow all permissions, click next, choose select and path, change to download folder and choose boot.img, then click LET'S GO. A new file will be created in your internal download folder, copy this file back to the ADB folder on your PC. Rename the new copied file to bootm-CarPC-2-4-64.img (or any other name except boot.img).

Part 6:
Back on PC open cmd-here in ADB folder and enter "adb devices" in the new window. All's well if you see your serial number again. "adb reboot bootloader", short wait, "fastboot devices", short wait, "fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash boot bootm-CarPC-2-4-64.img", short wait, "fastboot reboot", done. As usual it's time to wait again (have another coffee like described above) to re-establish the connection to Cardongle (maybe you have to disconnect/reconnect Cardongle to get it booting). No matter, be patient!

Patience is the key for successful modifying your CarPC (can't say it too often). If you have any questions you can ask, I might or might not answer :-). Depends on my mood and on the kind of the question. This procedure is checked and tested several times. If you follow it "by the word" it'll work for you.

Bye for now Fred

Hi Pedro, I want to root the carpc with the latest 2.4.88 software but it won't let me enter bootloader to then unlock the OEM.
I put the adb reboot bootloader statement from powershell and the carpc does not restart but rather exits the vysor application.
Could you explain what you did best? thank you!

ReplyQuote
AP756 - Fred
(@ap756-fred)
Topic starter  

@tiosanturzi Javier, what happens if you type "adb devices <ENTER>" into the command window? If you can't see something similar to pic 1 the driver isn't installed correctly or you didn't start the window as administrator. or you did not change into the correct directory (where adb is located).

Bye for now  Fred

ReplyQuote
Javier
(@tiosanturzi)
Eminent Member

I have the problem when I restart the car pc: "adb reboot bootloader", which does not restart me and the device is left without connection.

Subsequently, the "fastboot devices" no longer detects anything for me.

ReplyQuote
natsheh
(@mamdouh)
Trusted Member

@tiosanturzi try with this platform-tools and start from the cmd.bat

AP756 - Fred reacted
ReplyQuote
Javier
(@tiosanturzi)
Eminent Member

I was able to root it, downloading those tools again. Now I only have to enable the sim, to recognize the IMEI. Thank you so much!

ReplyQuote
AP756 - Fred
(@ap756-fred)
Topic starter  

@tiosanturzi Javier, sounds good. The download should have been working now (sorry, sometimes there is no computer around...). Try an IMEI which is known to work  and dont forget to set your APN after your SIM works. All will be well.

Bye for now  Fred

This post was modified 1 year ago by AP756 - Fred

admin reacted
ReplyQuote
Javier
(@tiosanturzi)
Eminent Member

@ap756-fred
I have already followed the steps that you indicate, but the mobile network does not pick up, look at the 4G icon, and that I have modified the APN as Vodafone picks it up on my mobile, but nothing.

Do you know what I may be missing? Removing the wifi doesn't connect either, thanks

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Javier

ReplyQuote
AP756 - Fred
(@ap756-fred)
Topic starter  

@tiosanturzi Javier, some things can't be explained, your only chance is to start again. As written in the other thread CarPC decided to remove the 2.4.90 OTA update. I think it was too buggy and that's your (and my) chance to restart.

Flash 2.4.88 again and wait for completion of optimisation. Next rewrite your IMEI again using a different number (take this one from my very old Samsung S3mini: 359707054433476 - check with www.imei.info)  and check your serial number as suggested by @natsheh. Check your APN (set a new one if needed).

After completing these steps you might root again, not before the phone works.

Bye for now  Fred

admin reacted
ReplyQuote
Javier
(@tiosanturzi)
Eminent Member

@ap756-fred I still do not detect the 4G to the sim card. And that I changed the SN and I put a new Imei from the SN_Writer_Tool software.

The carpc has been updated to 2.4.90, I then did a factory restore, but the 4G still does not pick up a signal.

The APN is well configured, of course!

ReplyQuote
AP756 - Fred
(@ap756-fred)
Topic starter  

@tiosanturzi Javier, please test your SIM card in your phone and remove the SIM card PIN. Probably this is the reason the SIM doesn't work - for the time being some options are not supported (like screen lock). I'm running out of ideas, it should work...

Bye for now  Fred

ReplyQuote
Javier
(@tiosanturzi)
Eminent Member

@ ap756-fred Siempre quito el pin de las tarjetas de mi móvil, tanto de particulares como de trabajo. Tengo Vodafone 5G, con tarjeta nanosim. En la carpc tengo que poner un adaptador de microsim para ponerlo dentro.

Por supuesto sigo sin red de datos ni llamadas.

Translation added:

I always remove the pin from my mobile cards, both private and work. I have Vodafone 5G, with a nanosim card. In the carpc I have to put a microsim adapter to put it inside. Of course I still have no data network or calls.
This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Javier

ReplyQuote
Andrea
(@andrea74)

@ap756-fred Ciao ho cancellato il numero di serie sui i miei dispositivi io ho sia il vecchio CarDongle sia il nuovo CarPC. I numeri di entrambi li ho su una foto, ma credo che per poterli riscrivere con SN Writer ci sia bisogno del root dei dei dispositivi tu puoi aiutarmi con AnyDesk magari prendiamo un appuntamento.

Forum language is English, translation added:

@ap756-fred Hi I deleted the serial number on my devices I have both the old CarDongle and the new CarPC. I have the numbers of both on a photo, but I think that to be able to rewrite them with SN Writer you need the root of the devices. You can help me with AnyDesk, maybe we can make an appointment.

This post was modified 1 month ago by AP756 - Fred

ReplyQuote
AP756 - Fred
(@ap756-fred)
Topic starter  

@andrea74 No root on the dongle needed. SN-writer works on Windows computer (after installing MTK drivers of course). Please read all the instructions given _here_ and you'll succeed. Online sessions aren't possible for me.

Bye for now  Fred

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: