CarPC Streambox (4G) - HDMI Carplay Mini PC
Feel free to post your Streambox reviews, comments and questions on this thread!
Seems like I'm the first one to write a short report. Today is the last day of the year 2022 and my new CarPC Streambox just arrived in time. Of course I just had to have my hands on it immediately and these are my findings:
The size of the Streambox surpasses AADongle (see pic), it depends on your expectation (Just keep in mind: AADongle connects through Android Auto, Streambox connects using Apple Carplay, both wired). Build quality is quite well, it looks nice and the software seems to be more refined compared to AADongle. It's well designed. Processor is a Snapdragon450 equipped with 4GB RAM, subjective speed is fine. There is no manual in the package (yet?), which is no problem - you'll find your way around or you might ask here in the forum.
Drawbacks: According to the Streambox itself and the release text it's an Android 10 system, but any of the system information systems report Android 9. Well, no big deal at all, just worth to note.
More annoying is the fact that you can't open developer options and therefore you can't reach the settings to prepare rooting or alter network access policies. For someone like me who likes to have the power to modify the system this is a big hindrance and hopefully will be altered in the near future.
Connection to the mobile network doesn't work out of the box. You have to set the APN according to your network provider before it works. Without a short desciption in a manual this is a bummer for users without the knowledge needed.
As usual I aks for a flashable ROM to unleash the potential of the Streambox.
Happy new year to all and bye for now Fred
Thanks for your review! We'll see if we can get the ROM for you. thanks again!
ho installato CarPC Streambox nella mia auto, ed è veramente eccezionale! Ho da chiedere alcuni chiarimenti su alcuni aspetti che non sono riportati da manuale di instruzioni:
1) Si parla di aggiornamento: gli aggiornamenti verranno rilasciati sul vostro sito e dovranno essere installati manualmente, giusto?
2) Ho notato che quando si avvia CARPC STREAMBOX lo smartphone viene autonomaticamente reso inutilizzabile dal sistema proprietario dell'auto, è corretto? E' possibile permettere che il cellulare possa essere connesso in contemporanea via bluetooth sia al CARPC che al sistema proprietario dell'auto?
3) Non ho ancora capito come poter avviare una chiamata telefonica con comandi vocali utlizzando il mio smartphone. Infatti, pur avendo installato lo smartphone su CarPC via bluetooth, se io provo ad avviare una chiamata con comandi vocali volendo utilizzare lo smartphone, la chiamata non si avvia. Invece, riesco ad avviarla se vado manualmente ad avviare il "telefono BLuetooth" (icona verde del telefono con il simbolo del bluetooth). Come faccio a risolvere questo problema?
4) Ho intenzione di installare una SIM per i dati. In questo caso, se avvio una chiamata telefonica con comandi vocali, il sistema utilizzarà la SIM presente in CARPC, corretto? Mentre invece io voglio usare il cellulare via bluetooth! Come faccio?
4) Ho installato KODI. Tuttavia va in crash in 20 secondi circa. Come posso risolvere il problema?
5) Se io avvio Android Auto ed avvio una navigazione con MAPS, posso in contemporanea avviare un film da DIsneyplus e proiettarlo su altro schermo in auto tramite uscita HDMI (senza, ovviamente, proiettare anche MAPS)? Se sì come si fa?
Per il momento mi pare di aver chiesto tutto. Scriverò ancora se avrò ulteriori dubbi, in modo da poter utilizzare al massimo delle sue potenzialità questo fantastico oggetto!
Aspettando la Vostra risposta invio cordiali saluti,
And here is the English translation (I used translate.google.com):
i installed CarPC Streambox in my car, and it really is exceptional! I have to ask for some clarifications on some aspects that are not listed in the instruction manual:
@mattia-bartalini hopefully some of your questions are answered in a satisfactory way:
1) Most updates will be OTA. In addition to that you can be sure that the corresponding update.zip or a full flashable ROM will be downloadable here from the forum.
2) The Streambox wants to be the boss in your car. Any connects have to be rooted through the box. Because every car manufacturer uses slightly different methods to implement Apple Carplay protocol the behavior of the Streambox will be different with every car. Usually two connections at the same time (to the head unit and to the Streambox) are not posible.
3) I think developers didn't see this scenario. There is no way to alter the standard phone program in settings (it seems to be hard coded). Inserting a full SIM (phone and data) should be the solution for you. This way the Streambox will be fully independend from your phone.
4) Please ask your provider if you can get a SIM which works for phone and data (this solves the problem of splitting). If you can't get one use your phone for both (phone and data) and just forget about an additional data SIM in the Streambox: Connect the Streambox to your phone using Bluetooth for calling, enable a Wifi hotspot on your phone and connect the Streambox by Wifi to this hotspot for data transfer (surfing). This can be done automatically (no need for doing anything else exept waiting for about 40 seconds).
4.1) I think KODI needs a working Internet connection before it is able to do its job. Please sort out your connection before trying to install again.
5) Too early to ask me. Having no HDMI monitor at hands I never tried. Will take a couple of days for me to get a monitor. Therefore I think you should try it and I'm sure you can report your results before I was able to get a monitor... Give it a try.
Bye for now Fred
Thanks for the answer, very complete and useful. So, according to what I understand, it is not possible to activate the telephone call via smartphone using the car's voice commands (in fact I try but I manage to initiate this type of call manually only by clicking on the "BT PHONE" application); on the contrary, with the voice commands "Ok Google" the call can be started if a dedicated SIM is present in the STREAMBOX. It's correct?
I think you are correct. In my understanding Google opens the phone app - not the Bluetooth phone app (this standard can't be changed with the ROM used), therefore there is no phone without using a SIM card inserted in your Streambox. Personally I don't use Google and I can't try it right now, so I'm not sure it really works.
Bye for now Fred
Hello, I have a problem with my CarPc STREAMBOX. It worked perfectly until yesterday. Today I had to replace the car battery and I realized that the car no longer recognizes the device, that is, It does not start. I thought that the problem would be the USB PORT of the car, but if I connect my smartphone by It the car charge It and recognize It, in fact start automatically Android auto (by cable). I did car system reset, but the problem persists.
When I connect STREAMBOX the writing CARPC lights up and the blue and red lights on the back are activated... However, after about 10 seconds they go off and it starts all over again, as if it were restarting again. And the car doesn't recognize it...
I also tried to use the AAWIRELESS device that I used before buying the CARPC STREAMBOX and I have the same problem with this device too, i.e. the car does not recognize it.
What may have happened?
How can I solve the problem?
- Thank you,
Unfortunately I think my CARPC Streambox is broken... In fact, if I connect it to my Laptop, the same thing happens as in my car. That is, the writing CARPC lights up, the blue and red LEDs light up, the computer recognizes the external device, but after about 10 seconds the red and blue LEDs go out, the PC loses the connection, and it starts all over again...
There is a guarantee for this product?
What can I do?
Please, answer me...
@mattia-bartalini, after re-reading your messages I decided to rewrite my answer. Due to the fact that neither Streambox nor AAWireless works I suppose the transfer protocol in your head unit went crazy. Please reboot your head unit again (usually very long press on the power button until the head unit restarts). If this does not help visit your dealer, probably they have to reset the BMS - battery management system before the car works reliable again (some "modern" cars need some help after changing the battery). Keep me/us informed.
Information about LEDs: Your Streambox tries to connect to the head unit, but there is no response. Now the box reboots and tries a different screen layout, doesn't succeed, reboots again and again. After resetting the head unit please be super patient and allow at least 10 reboots before starting to get nervous 😉
Bye for now Fred
You're right Fred... Finally I reset my car's computer system again, tried the connection and... Everything ok, streambox works again! Thank god!
Returning to the issue of using the smartphone via bluetooth using voice commands, I think this would be possible if it were allowed to change the default application for phone calls. But streambox doesn't grant it, I already tried... Who knows if this option can be included in the next software update!? Thanks for everything,
@mattia-bartalini Happy to help with the connection issue. Your question about Bluetooth phone application selectable as main phone application needs a request for the developers (I'm just a volunteer).
Bye for now Fred
@admin Buenos días, soy nuevo en el foro y no se como se pueden publicar las dudas o problemas que tengo con el Strreambox, me podéis ayudar
Translation added (official forum language is English):
Good morning, I'm new to the forum and I don't know how to post the doubts or problems I have with Streambox, can you help me?
@ferjulcat Fernando, I'm just a moderator, but tell you: You found the right place. Ask here in the thread and you'll be answered. Because the official forum language is English you might translate your message using translate.google.com or any other service you prefer.
Bye for now Fred
Hello, I got Streambox yesterday. This is definitely a new quality. Internet works and calls are possible. There are no language versions (for example Polish). The device is definitely more stable and works faster. I don't think there is a possibility of cooperation with a PC (eg mirroid). Question: how and when can I get information about the update?